This weeks argument is Brett Gardner vs. Ichiro Suzuki
Why Brett Gardner:
- While the average is no where near Ichiro, he did score 97 runs last year and swiped 47 bases with a .383 OBP.
- You can typically draft Brett(113th overall and 29th OF) MUCH later in the draft than Ichiro (47th overall and 12th OF).
- Brett is much younger and while Ichiro has not shown signs of slow down, age is always a factor.
- ...Brett wears Pinstripes.
Why Not Brett Gardner:
- Yankees are loaded with veteran outfielders and since Brett does not have the stick they do, DH is not really an option for him.
- He is starting in LF but Andruw Jones will see a lot of playing time against lefties be it for Granderson or Gardner.
- He hits in the bottom of the lineup and behind slower runners so his double with a man on first might not net an RBI.
Why Ichiro Suzuki:
- Pretty much a lock for 200 hits.
- Ichiro will see more AB in a season which gives him a greater chance to produce.
- ...This is Ichiro we are talking about.
Why Not Ichiro Suzuki:
- Will turn 37 this season and is no longer a threat to hit .350.
- The lineup behind him is not that good and Ichiro needs to score runs to retain his value.
So who would you rather have?