The Virginia Cavaliers landed the #1 seed in the East Region after winning the ACC regular season and the ACC tournament. That is impressive considering that Syracuse joined this season and the conference has been dominated by Duke and North Carolina for many years. Villanova was given the #2 seed, but they failed to win the Big East tournament, losing to Seton Hall. The only other teams to beat Villanova this season were Creighton (twice) and Syracuse. Iowa State and Michigan State round out the top 4 seeds.
My BracketVirginia's regular season play continued throughout the ACC tourny, and now deserve some respect. However, when they matchup with the Michigan St. Spartans in the Sweet 16, their run will end. On the bottom half of this bracket, Villanova might not even make it past UCONN, but neither team can keep up with Iowa St. My thought process continues to go with the experienced coaches, and Tom Izzo is one of the best. Michigan State should see Florida in the Final Four.
Other Big Name Schools
- 5 Cincinnatti
- 6 North Carolina
- 7 Connecticut
- 8 Memphis
- 12 Harvard
Possible National Champs
- 1 Virginia
- 4 Michigan St
- 3 Iowa State
- Iowa State's ability to score gives them a legit chance to win every game. The Cyclones have the 6th best offense in the Nation, and have three players that can take over a game in Ejim, Kane and Niang. Most people will roll with Virginia or Michigan St out of this bracket so an appearance by Iowa St could really change some standings.
- 12 Harvard vs 5 Cincinnati
- Yahoo 70.5% Cincy
- 11 Providence vs 6 North Carolina
- Yahoo 84% UNC
- 9 George Washington vs 8 Memphis
- Yahoo 66% Memphis
Players to Watch
- Melvin Ejim - Iowa St (18.1 points per game, 8.5 rebounds)
- Gary Harris - Michigan St (17.1 points per game)
- DeAndre Kane - Iowa St (17.0 points per game, 5.8 assists)
- Georges Niang - Iowa St (16.5 points per game)
- Dustin Hogue - Iowa St (8.6 rebounds per game)
- Branden Dawson - Michigan St (8.3 rebounds per game)
- Adreian Payne - Michigan St (7.4 rebounds per game)
- Akil Mitchell - Virginia (7.1 rebounds per game)
Bonobos.com is offering a $100 promo code to the winner of our March Madness pool. Sign up for free and share the link! We want to get a LARGE pool going. Share it on your blog, twitter, facebook, whatever!