We are starting a new series here on We Talk Fantasy Sports, and it's called DraftKings Wednesdays. I've been joining daily games (free entries) on DraftKings over the past few weeks, and found myself doing fairly well. I figured I would throw some cash into my account and see if I can win some real money
One of the most important things to have for a successful DFS day is to get great starting pitching. There are plenty of hitters who will put up points, but it's tough to get two pitchers to give you quality starts. I do like Taijuan Walker ($7,200) for Seattle against the Indians tonight as he has limited the Indians roster to just 2 hits over 29 at-bats over his career. Walker has also struck out 9 while walking none. Oh yeah, the 22 year old has also only given up 7 hits over his last two starts (16 innings) with 15 strike outs and 1 walk.
Another guy I like starting tonight is Edinson Volquez ($6,700) against the Twins. Players on the Twins are hitting just .181 off of Volquez (12 for 66) with just two extra base hits. Volquez has a 17/3 K/BB ratio against them. If you do not care about price, then please start Matt Harvey ($10,700), Jake Arrieta ($9,800) and Tyson Ross ($9,300) as i expect them all to have great starts.
Stay away from these pitchers:
- Charlie Morton
- The Brewers hit .294 off of him and he has struck out 13 while walking 12. Plus Ryan Braun and Carlos Gomez own him.
- Kyle Lohse
- Lohse goes up against Morton tonight and neither pitcher will last long. The Pirates hit .318 off of Lohse with 8 home runs. McCutchen has 3 of those home runs.
- Wei-Yin Chen
- The Red Sox see him too often and know how he pitches. That could be why they are hitting .292 off of him with 8 home runs.
- Buster Posey ($3,600)
- Not too many guys have had success against Matt Harvey, but Posey is an exception. In 5 at-bats Posey has 4 hits, including a double and a home run.
- Mark Teixeira ($4,300)
- Teixeria is having a monster season when it comes to the power numbers and gets to face Gio Gonzalez today, a guy he crushes. Teixeria hits .333 off of Gio and has 2 doubles, 2 home runs 5 RBI and has drawn 5 walks.
- Chris Davis ($3,900)
- Davis has faced Rick Porcello 24 times in his career and has hit 3 bombs off of him.
- Lucas Duda ($4,300)
- Duda has seen plenty of Tim Hudson in his career, going 12/30 off of him, with 2 doubles, a home run and has drawn 3 walks.
- Dustin Pedroia ($4,100)
- For a third week in a row, I'm reccommending Dustin Pedroia, due to his success against the opposing pitcher. The last two weeks he faced Phil Hughes and came through with two huge games. Now he gets Wei-Yin Chen and Pedroia is 15/32 against him with 5 doubles, a triple and has driven in 5.
- Neil Walker ($4,000)
- Neil Walker vs Kyle Lohse, we've sen this battle 46 times before and Walker has the upper hand. Walker is 12/39 with 7 walks, 3 doubles, a triple, a home run and has 9 RBI off of Lohse.
- Anthony Rendon ($4,400)
- There are not really any great matchups to play today at third base. Rendon is third base eligable and is a .412 hitter off of Nathan Eovaldi in his career in 17 at-bats.
- Ruben Tejada ($2,900)
- Tim Hudson has a great career in the MLB but hasn't figured out how to get Tejada out. In 25 at-bats, Tejada has 9 hits with a couple of RBI. Tejada has been the Mets hottest hitter over the last few weeks, so ride him while he's hot and has a great matchup.
- Asdrubal Cabrera ($3,000)
- In 40 career at-bats against Jered Weaver, Cabrera has 6 extra base hits, including 2 home runs and has driven in 5.
- Nelson Cruz ($4,600)
- In just 6 career at-bats against Trevor Bauer, Nelson Cruz looks good. Cruz has 4 hits, including a home run. Hopefully he continues the success today.
- Ryan Braun ($4,500) / Carlos Gomez ($4,800)
- The Brewers outfield duo absolutely crush Charlie Morton. They are a combined 13/29 with 3 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 3 stolen bases. Can't go wrong with either one today
- Andrew McCutchen ($5,000) / Jose Tabata ($2,000)
- This is assuming Tabata will draw the start today against Lohse - Just like their counterparts Braun and Gomez, McCutchen and Tabata own Lohse. They have combined to go 29/81 (.358 avg), with 5 doubles, a triple, 4 home runs, 16 RBI and 6 walks.
Players to Avoid
- Jonathan Lucroy ($3,500)
- Just 1/12 in his career against Morton with 3 K's.
- Salvador Perez ($3,800)
- 2 hits in 14 at-bats against Kyle Gibson with 4 K's.
- Brandon Belt ($3,800)
- 0/5 against Matt Harvey with 3 K's. Never assume a batter will figure it out against the Dark Knight.
- Brandon Moss ($4,400)
- Hasn't had a hit off Taijuan Walker in 7 career at-bats and has struck out 3 times.
- Ian Kinsler ($3,800)
- Hits .111 against Jake Arrieta. Stay away.
- Jose Altuve ($4,300)
- There aren't many pitchers that Altuve struggles against but he's just 3/16 in his career against Jose Quintana with 7 strikeouts.
- Pedro Alvarez ($3,700)
- In 40 at-bats, Alvarez has just 9 hits against Kyle Lohse and has struck out 13 times.
- Lorenzo Cain ($4,300)
- More strikeouts (3) than hits (1) against Kyle Gibson in 10 at-bats.
- Mookie Betts ($4,100)
- Just like Cain, Betts has more strikeouts (2) than hits (1) against Chen in 10 at-bats.
- Carlos Beltran ($3,600)
- Let's keep the trend going. Beltran has just 2 hits, and 3 strikeouts against Gio Gonzalez in 10 at-bats.