Kyle Schwarber's injury really impacted some fantasy baseball owners plans, but the position has actually provided us with some quality play in 2016. Veterans like Kurt Suzuki, Chris Iannetta, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Dioner Navarro have given owners a way out, if they drafted Travis d'Arnaud or gave Devin Mesoraco one last chance.
We did not rank Evan Gattis at C during Spring Training as he did not catch a game for the Astros in 2015. He was sent down to the Minors to get reacquainted with the position and has hit 13 home runs in just 65 games played, but is hitting just .215. He has more than twice as many ABs at DH.
Heating UpOver the last 14 days, Brian McCann and Yasmani Grandal have been the top catchers. McCann has six XBH (4 HR) driving in 9 runs while Grandal has hit six home runs, picking up 11 RBI.
Original Post (3/22)
Stats from Last Season (250 PA min)
- Buster Posey led all catchers with a .318 BA
- Nick Hundley and A.J. Pierzynski were the only others to hit .300
- Derek Norris (33) was the only catcher to hit 30 doubles
- Buster Posey (28) and Salvador Perez (25) were the only others to hit at least 25 2Bs
- Brian McCann led all catchers with 26 home runs
- Russell Martin (23) and Salvador Perez (21) were the only other to hit at least 20 HRs
- Salvador Perez and Russell Martin were the only catchers with 20+ home runs and 20+ doubles
- Buster Posey and Russell Martin were the only catchers with 70+ runs scored and RBI
- Brian McCann and Derek Norris were the only others with at least 60 in both categories
- Stephen Vogt, Salvador Perez, Wilson Ramos and Yadier Molina each drove in 60+ runs but failed to score 60 times
- Stephen Vogt, Francisco Cervelli, Kyle Schwarber and Jonathan Lucroy each scored 50+ runs but failed to knock in 50
- Buster Posey had the highest OBP at .379
- Francisco Cervelli was next at .370
- Kyle Schwarber and Yasmani Grandal were the only other catchers with a .350 OBP or better
- Yasmani Grandal led all catchers with a 15.3% BB%
- Kyle Schwarber had a 13.2 BB%
- Buster Posey (8.3%), A.J. Pierzynski (8.5%) and Brayan Pena (9.3%) were the only catchers with a single-digit K%
- Stephen Vogt (19%) was the only catcher with a double-digit walk rate and a K% under 20%.
- Mike Zunino (34.2%) and Jason Castro (30.7%) struck out at a higher rate than all other catchers.
- Blake Swihart (.359), Francisco Cervelli (.359) and Nick Hundley (.356) had the highest BABIP
- Kyle Schwarber, Buster Posey and Travis d'Arnaud led all catchers in wOBA and wRC+
Fantasy Baseball 1B Rankings
Fantasy Baseball 2B Rankings
Fantasy Baseball 3B Rankings
Fantasy Baseball SS Rankings
Fantasy Baseball OF Rankings
Fantasy Baseball SP Rankings