Every year there are running backs that people are high on and are expected to have a big year. So you draft them and by the end of the year you are regretting it. It happened to every owner last year who drafted Eddie Lacy, C.J. Anderson, Marshawn Lynch, DeMarco Murray, Joseph Randle and the list goes on.
Here's our list of running backs to avoid drafting for the 2016 fantasy football season.
- Matt Forte
- Forte is on the wrong side of 30, and will be learning a new system for this season. Bilal Powell will also breathing down his neck for carries, and the Jets might be in favor of a 50/50 split to keep both backs healthy. Forte has seen a decrease in carries and touchdowns the last two seasons.
- Jeremy Langford
- I promise I have nothing against Chicago Bears running backs, but Jeremy Langford is not a guy I like for this season. He has a limited skill set and last year he was given plenty of chances to make a splash and failed to do so. Rookie Jordan Howard will get his chance to prove himself and the Bears also have Jacquizz Rodgers and Ka'Deem Carey on the roster.
- Le'Veon Bell
- This guy is not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. Anything after that is worth the risk, but I have yet to see him go past the 2nd round. He's suspended for the first four games this year, coming off a serious knee injury, and is one strike away from being kicked out of the NFL. If you do draft him, you MUST guarantee yourself DeAngelo Williams.
- Chris Ivory
- Last year you would kill to have this guy on your team. Now, you have no idea what kind of role he'll have with the Jaguars. He'll clearly get a fair share of carries, but what if T.J. Yeldon breaks out? Too risky and not a clear favorite...yet.
- T.J. Yeldon
- Had a couple 100 yard games in his rookie season, but other than that he was pretty mediocre. He'll be fighting Ivory for carries and Ivory will likely steal goal line touches.
- Melvin Gordon
- Melvin Gordon's rookie season summed up in one word = disaster. 184 carries last year, Gordon managed to fumble five times, averaged just 3.5 yards per carry and failed to find the end zone. Gordon also underwent microfracture knee surgery and the Chargers O-Line is pretty dreadful. Oh yeah, Danny Woodhead is also on the team. That should be enough to scare you away.