The Cubs were one of three teams to score 800+ runs this year, led by Kris Bryant (39 HRs) and Anthony Rizzo (32). Rizzo led the team with 109 RBI and 43 doubles while Bryant drove in 102 and hit 35 doubles. Bryant's 121 runs scored were the most in the National League and 4th best in all of baseball.
They have tallied 33 XBH (21 doubles, 12 HRs) this postseason in 10 games, leading to 48 runs scored. Rizzo and Addison Russell have each hit two home runs in the playoffs, but Bryant and Javier Baez have been the offensive catalyst. They have combined for 26 hits, 9 doubles, 2 home runs and 13 RBI, scoring 12 runs.
Looks like Kyle Schwarber might be in the Cubs lineup as a DH!
Chicago's pitching staff features two potential Cy Young Award winners in Jon Lester and Kyle Hendricks - and also has last year's winner in Jake Arrieta. The cherry on top is Aroldis Chapman coming in to close games.#Cubs Schwarber to DH for Mesa Solar Sox today in AZ Fall League. Expected to join team in Cleveland Tuesday for World Series— Carrie Muskat (@CarrieMuskat) October 24, 2016
This postseason though, the bullpen has been shaky, with opponents hitting .238 off them. This has led to 14 earned run in 35.2 innings pitched with just a 29:13 K:BB ratio.
Players Acquired via Trade (Baseball-Reference.com)
- Anthony Rizzo - January 6, 2012: Traded by the San Diego Padres with Zach Cates (minors) to the Chicago Cubs for Kyung-Min Na (minors) and Andrew Cashner.
- Addison Russell - July 5, 2014: Traded by the Oakland Athletics with Billy McKinney (minors), Dan Straily and cash to the Chicago Cubs for Jason Hammel and Jeff Samardzija.
- Miguel Montero - December 9, 2014: Traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks to the Chicago Cubs for Jeferson Mejia (minors) and Zack Godley.
- Kyle Hendricks - July 31, 2012: Traded by the Texas Rangers with Christian Villanueva (minors) to the Chicago Cubs for Ryan Dempster.
- Jake Arrieta/Pedro Strop - July 2, 2013: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles and cash to the Chicago Cubs for Steve Clevenger and Scott Feldman.
- Mike Montgomery - July 20, 2016: Traded by the Seattle Mariners with Jordan Pries (minors) to the Chicago Cubs for Paul Blackburn (minors) and Dan Vogelbach.
- Aroldis Chapman - July 25, 2016: Traded by the New York Yankees to the Chicago Cubs for Rashad Crawford (minors), Billy McKinney (minors), Gleyber Torres (minors) and Adam Warren.
Players Drafted (RosterResource.com)
- Kris Bryant - 2nd overall 2013
- Javier Baez - 9th overall 2011
- Kyle Schwarber - 4th Overall 2014
Free Agents Signed
- Jon Lester - 6 year $155 mil 2015
- Jason Heyward - 8 year $184 mil 2016
- Ben Zobrist - 4 years $56 mil 2016
- John Lackey - 2 years $32 mil 2016
- Jason Hammel - 2 years $20 mil 2015
- Willson Contreras - Amateur Free Agent 2009