The first half between the Titans and Patriots saw a flurry of offense, including several 10+ play touchdown dives. Tennessee got the scoring started with a Marcus Mariota 4 yard touchdown run. This entire drive was highlighted by Derrick Henry, as he ran for 48 yards on five carries.
New England responded with a 12-play touchdown drive, which saw 6 passes and 6 rushes, which is as balanced as you can get. Brady capped the drive off with a 6 yard strike to Chris Hogan in the end zone.
Not to be outdone, the Titans put together an 11-play touchdown drive to retake the lead 14-7. Again the Patriots defense had no answer for Henry, as he helped the Titans get into Patriots territory. DeMarco Murray scored from a yard out on his only carry of the half.
Once again Brady would tie this game back up. The big play of the drive was a 31-yard pass down the middle of the field to his star tight end Rob Gronkowski. 6 plays later, he hit Danny Amendola with an 8-yard touchdown.
For a third straight drive, the Patriots defense could not get off the field. Twice they had the Titans in third and long situations but could not force a punt. The first time Mariota threw a screen pass to Corey Davis who took it 42 yards to midfield. Then three plays later on 3rd and 11, Mariota threw an incomplete pass, but was bailed out on a roughing the passer call. Derrick Henry would eventually end this drive with an 8-yard touchdown run, giving the Titans a 21-14 lead.
Forcing a quick 3 and out, the Titans took over with just over a minute to play in the half. Mariota threw a pass that was picked off by Jonathan Jones, who wisely ran out of bounds with 2 seconds left, setting up a Stephen Gostowski 43-yard field goal. This took us to halftime with the Titans leading 21-17.
After an exciting first half with plenty of scoring, the third quarter started with 4 consecutive punts before the Titans added to their lead thanks to a 51-yard field goal by Ryan Succop.
Down a touchdown with four minutes left in the third, Tom Brady led the Patriots down the field and threw his third touchdown of the game. This time is was to Rex Burkhead to tie the game at 24.
The game headed to the fourth all tied up.
Again we saw the defenses step up for a second straight quarter and it became a battle. Half way thru the 4th with the game still tied at 24, Ryan Succop attempted a 49 yard field goal that was blocked! The teams traded punts, before Brady connected on three straight passes with under two minutes left, to set up the game winning Stephen Gostowski 44 yard field goal.
Final Score: Patriots sneak past the Titans 27-24.
- Marcus Mariota - 21/34, 236 yards, 1 interception, 3 carries, 59 yards, 1 touchdown
- Derrick Henry - 21 carries, 94 yards, 1 touchdown, 4 receptions, 14 yards
- DeMarco Murray - 4 carries, 22 yards, 1 touchdown
- Corey Davis - 6 receptions, 86 yards
- Delanie Walker - 5 receptions, 66 yards
- Tom Brady - 21/31, 326 yards, 3 touchdowns
- Dion Lewis - 12 carries, 59 yards
- James White - 3 carries, 7 yards, 2 receptions, 24 yards
- Rex Burkhead - 2 carries, 8 yards, 3 receptions, 17 yards
- Brandin Cooks - 3 receptions, 81 yards
- Chris Hogan - 3 receptions, 40 yards, 1 touchdown
- Danny Amendola - 3 receptions, 55 yards, 1 touchdown
- Rob Gronkowski - 6 receptions, 106 yards